Thursday 19 November 2020

Star Motif

 This is Star Motif from the pamphlet Tatting by Penelope Book 3. The picture is at the beginning of the book but the instructions are at the end.  I was inspired by this motif when I first learned to tat and will admit that I COPY TATTED it.  It was a time before I learned to read patterns so I counted stitches.  I felt so bad that I worked to obtain the pattern legally and now have done that and along the way also supported many tatting artists by purchasing shuttles, books and thread.  

I love to tat this pattern.  I do it with two shuttles, using split rings and a split chain to climb to the next round. I tat this at least once a year.  The top pattern is done in a size 80 vintage thread and woks out to 4.25 inches.  It has made its way to Europe in a tatting exchange.  The lower one was done with Wonderfil thread, I made two Wonderfil motifs which will be given away in a local exchange later this year. 

Size 20 yields a star 5.5" size 10 yields a star 7.25" and size 80 makes a star 4.25"



3 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful motif. I suspect many of us did the same. That’s why I think explaining copyright should often be more about education than censure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pattern! Your stars are lovely. Whoever the recipients are will be delighted, I'm sure.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete

It is always nice to see that someone has commented on my posts. Your comment will be published after verification. Happy Tatting