Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Heart's Desire

One of my favorite patterns is "Heart's Desire" by Susan K. Fuller.  I have tatted this piece four of five times in the past three years.

For this recent heart I used an Omega 50 cotton. The thread is quite soft.  On the final ring the thread broke once the ring was closed. I used the ball thread to make a lock join through that ring. One could use a single shuttle split ring to finish off and reduce the ends to tie in.

At 2.5 inches at the widest point, this is ready to put on a card

The pattern was shared with the online class and can be found here or the diagram by Frivole here.



Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Second Attempt

My second attempt came out much better. I relaxed my wraps and closed slowly and not tightly which was twisting the clunies.  

 If you look closely you may even spot where I added a thread in the middle of a cluny.  I used a split ring to climb to the second row and magic threads to hide the ends. 

I do like this thread as it is very strong and smooth to work with. A vintage size 30 thread this finished coaster is 7 cm or 2.75 inches across.  Another row or size 20 would make this a perfect size for under a glass but for now it is off to cheer up a friend and fits nicely on the card below.



My first attempt can be found here and the pattern by Mimi Dillman here

Friday, 12 August 2016

Bits and Pieces



When I finish a project there is usually some thread left on the shuttle.  I either wind the excess back on the ball or if it is only a few feet, I make little daisy flowers.  These flowers are a ring of five of six large picots with a stitch between. 

I also keep any bits of lace that have been cut off of other projects.  

I made these bits and pieces into contact cards.  They have come in handy at a visit to a local thread shop and when I meet other tatters or someone interested in tatting. 

I made up the cards using my old laser printer and cardstock, designed with space on the left to place the tatting.  I cut them and used white glue to attach a few daisies or a bit of cut lace.  

Just leave them to dry and pack a few into your tatting travel bag and your done.

This idea was inspired from a card I received from another tatter last year and  I just had to share.

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Coasting Along


Just finished up a few more of the  Robin Perfetti coasters, the one above is called Kaleidoscope and the two below are Five Petals Split Rings and Six Petals Split Rings. The patterns are available in her Etsy shop



The six coasters used the majority of the Rico Essentials 50g ball. Don't know what else I will make with it but eager to get back to some smaller threads. 

Saturday, 23 July 2016

Tatting Can Leave You In Stitches

The Fringe Element Tatters are having another exchange and we are to do something using a variety of stitches.  So I have made a few tallies.  First a piece for practice.

The pattern is by Mimi Dillman, Tatted Cluny Coaster Variation and is available for download here. There is also a link to a cluny instruction page, both shuttle and needle. You will make 32 tallies for this pattern.

I am using a gifted vintage thread, size 30, color unknown.  It was wrapped around an envelop so perhaps whatever was originally made was undone.  The thread is very smooth so perfect for cluny making. The color change helps me keep track of the threads and I can count the wraps easily.

I have found that as I go along in this pattern the tallies are getting a wee bit better.  I still have quite a bit of twisting but hope that blocking will save me.

I need to figure out how to put in a picot for joining between tallies. I found that the pop a bobbin provided adjustable tension and sat nicely behind my fingers and kept the center thread tight.  When I wrapped the thread around my little finger it was too slippery and didn't stay.   I also found that I don't need a lot of space for the loom if  I use a thin shuttle for wrapping.  With less space you can wrap faster and there is less of a chance to drop your shuttle.

I used a post-it note to mark my place in the pattern and just realized I could use one to assist in keeping the tallies more consistent. Well the final piece is below and I'm feeling more confident. I know the tallies are not near perfect but I was able to close them all without breaking thread and no cramping of my hand.  I just may make another.