Tuesday 7 November 2023

Spool Pin Doily

 

One of my sisters, is a quilter, that means she can sew but I cannot.  She requested a spool pin doily to gift. It is used to protect  wear of a spool against the machine.  I believe it also prevents the spool from continuing to spin once you stop pulling thread.  I made one with various ring counts and chains and settled on a simple pattern.

Here are a few I created for her.  The Shuttle is to show size.  The finished spool pin doily is about 1.5 inches or 4 cm.  Don't pull the center ring too tight so it will have some give to fit most machines.

I found some size 20 thread in her requested colors.  I put 2 yards of thread on shuttle one and 1.5 yards on shuttle two.  I started a ring of  3ds then 7 picots between and climbed out to the second round with a mock picot. The split ring was 3-3-3/3-3-3.  Chain between rings was 3-2-2-2-2-3.  I put six picots on one and it still worked out.  
 



2 comments:

  1. There are going to be some very well dressed sewing machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific!! :)
    I love the tie-dye on the shuttle!! :)

    ReplyDelete

It is always nice to see that someone has commented on my posts. Your comment will be published after verification. Happy Tatting